So you’ve done all your research to find the right moving company for your needs and budget, and you’ve decided on Big League Movers. Good move. However, what you do now before the truck arrives is just as important. That’s why we’ve provided you with moving tips and some of our favorite moving and packing resources to help make your experience as painless as possible.
MOVING TIPS FROM THE EXPERTS
- Use the move as an opportunity to clear out old belongings. Have a yard sale or a carport sale with anything you don’t need or want. Or give your local charity shop a boost. Either way, you can purge some items and even make some money!
- Think about the space in your new home before you move, and start to imagine the best way to arrange your furniture in it. You can even make sketches or use online home-styling tools. This will make moving in much easier and help you feel more at home.
- Take any staples out of boxes before you pack them. Stray staples can scratch floors and surfaces, as they’ll probably move in transit.
- Buy LOTS of packing tape. It’s great for strengthening boxes, will prevent accidental opening in transit, and can be easily opened when you want to with a knife. Go the whole hog and buy a tape gun. It makes taping much easier, and it’s fun, too!
- Plan where your movers can park to load and unload. The further they have to walk, the longer it will take. Clear your driveway of any vehicles, basketball goals, or clutter. Having the shortest route possible to the truck will cut down on your move cost.
- Teach your kids your new address and phone number as soon as you have it.
- Don’t use any special cleaning/maintenance products such as wax or oils on antique furniture for a couple of weeks before your move. They can make the wood softer for a few weeks and leave it more likely to get damaged.
- Unplug your TV a day before your move so that it will settle down to room temperature. If you unplug it just before you move it may retain heat when wrapped or packed; this can actually cause internal damage.
- Write down instructions for any systems in your home such as central heating, air conditioning, etc., and make sure the people moving in know any alarm codes. If you have brochures, guarantees, or any paperwork relating to systems or appliances you’re leaving behind, make sure to leave them somewhere obvious. This will make their move much easier, and keep them from bothering you during yours! Also, call the previous owner of your new home and ask them to do the same.
- If your new home has an alarm system, ask for the code before you move.
- Try to get a good night’s sleep before your moving day. It’s going to be a long day!
- Packing starts out being fun but can soon get boring and tedious. Make yourself feel better about it by setting deadlines (i.e. a week to pack up the garage, etc.) and keeping to them. No time to pack? No worries. Our team at Big League Movers can handle the packing for you. Just give us a call to provide a packing estimate.
- Under packing is almost as bad as over packing and the contents of under packed boxes are MUCH more likely to be damaged. Make sure you fill boxes with a mix of heavy and light.
- Don’t leave all your packing to the last day. You’ll be up all night and still not get it done right. But don’t beat yourself up if you don’t get everything done. If you’re pushed for time, it doesn’t matter if you just box up non-fragile items quickly or even just stuff them in bags. If this happens to you, do make sure you ask your movers to take extra care or just transport these last-minute packed things yourself. Pack your fragile items first. This way, your best boxes and packing materials go towards your most valuable items, and it ensures your fragile items will be packed in advance.
- Don’t use foam ‘peanuts’ to pack a computer – they can generate static electricity and cause damage.
- Try not to wrap fragile items in newspaper, as the print will come off on them. You’ll just have to wash everything before you can put it away. And, newsprint doesn’t generally come off well in a dishwasher so chances are you’ll be washing them by hand. If you don’t want to buy wrapping materials, save up magazines for a few weeks beforehand.
- Don’t use newspaper to wrap lampshades – chances are you will not be able to get the newsprint off again!
- Get one of your movers to do a last walk-around of your old house with you before you leave. A fresh pair of eyes can often spot things you’ve left behind.
- If you’re in the habit of hanging clothes or stuff behind bedroom doors, remember to check them as well. This is one of the most common places people forget things.
- Write OPEN FIRST on boxes of essential items and DO NOT MOVE on boxes you’re not planning on taking with you!
- It’s easier to clean your new home before you move in. If you can’t do it yourself, consider hiring professionals to whiz around for a couple of hours before the moving truck arrives.
- You don’t need to take drawers out of chests of drawers for the move – even if they can’t be locked. You can use masking tape to hold in drawers that do not lock. Masking tape is specifically made not to leave residue, unlike duct, electrical, or box tape.
- If you’re carrying heavy boxes, bend with the knees and not with your back!
- Before your movers arrive, try to make sure that all boxes, containers, etc. are stacked neatly in the room (ideally around the walls) and leave the movers room to maneuver. This will speed up the process.
- Make sure someone is at your new home to meet the movers and to tell them where to unload stuff.
- If you’re moving with kids, let them loose on their new bedrooms with a couple of boxes of stuff they can unpack to keep them occupied. You may also want to give them fun jobs to do. Anything to keep the kids out of the movers’ way will allow the movers to work at full speed and keep your kids safe from accidents.
- Give your movers your cell phone number. This way, they can get the answers to any questions they may have and get back to work as quickly as possible.
- Big League Movers has a two-hour minimum and charges in half-hour increments. Ask your Crew Leader what time they marked as their start time and make the best use of your time with the 30-minute increments in mind.
AFTER THE MOVE
- Tipping. It’s a nice touch to tip your movers all individually if they’ve been really helpful. Otherwise tip the Crew Leader and he will sort them all out. Just like any service, a tip is not expected but definitely appreciated. We are often asked what the standard tipping rate is; $5 to $10 per hour/ per mover is a good ballpark figure.
- Give electrical items a chance to get to room temperature before you plug them in.
- Expect to feel a bit ‘blue’ for a couple of days after the move. It happens all the time and doesn’t mean you hate your new home – just that the move and the thought of unpacking has taken its toll on you a bit. Although “move day” is over, the whole moving process is not. It generally takes a few months for everything to be in order. Keep this in mind, and don’t stress out.
- Call your friends and family to let them know you’ve moved safely.
- Keep your kids occupied and give them lots of attention. They’ll probably feel unsettled by the move too. Make time to have some fun!
- If you feel up to it, throw a housewarming party!
Big League Movers is here to help! If you have any questions after you get settled in your new place, or just need a recommendation on a good restaurant or nice park in the area, give us a call at 888-677-6553.
Our Clients Feedback
- Pat B.3 days ago
Tommy, who was the lead man on the move, managed all aspects of our loading with care and respect. He even offered to pick up coffee for us to start our day! His team were creative problem solvers, and master packers. When we arrived at our... read moreRosalind L.3 days ago
Big League took care of all of our stuff perfectly. Everyone involved was very kind and professional. It was one of the hottest days so far this year and they were able to get us moved in fairly easily!Daniel Bader4 days ago
Big League Movers made our move very easy and efficient. They took the stress out of the move after another company had dropped my daughter's contract on the day of the move. From the moment my call was received until the moment the truck was unloaded, they were excellent in... read moreSusan McNulty2 weeks ago
Big League Movers are the best! Eric, Love, and Armstead were our movers and they were wonderful. They worked really hard, were very efficient, friendly, and did a great job. They put my furniture right were I wanted, and even moved it when I changed my mind. They were very... read moreLacey Hipps3 weeks ago
If I could give them 10 stars, I would. They were very competitively priced, reliable and responsive! Highly recommend them fit your move!!!!Cheryl S.1 month ago
I cannot say enough good things about our experience with Big League Movers. Anthony, the team leader, was respectful and efficient as was his team. They made the stress of moving a little less stressful. Plus, Big League Movers is a local company!Melissa Pirani Neale1 month ago
Just had Big League move out my home for a water damage claim I had and it was great working with them. Incredible attitude by all the guys and easy to work with. Communication was great, took care of our items and the back office staff did great communicating.Tyler P.2 months ago
I used Big League Movers for my move out of my parent's house into an apartment. I just needed help moving big items (couch, bed, desk, table, etc.). I talked to Jody who gave me the estimate for the move and scheduled it. He was extremely friendly and helpful. He... read moreShannon Lehman2 months ago
Jerome and his team did a great job getting us moved. Not only did they help us pack on moving day, they even brought in additional boxed when we ran out of supplies. Very happy with the service that was provided.James Edwards3 months ago
Our movers were incredibly helpful & easy to work with. Got everything taken from one place to another in just a few short hours. Big League Movers was in close contact with us on the backend making sure everything was going as planned also. Will definitely be using them... read moreBrandon V.3 months ago
I had an out of state move planned and the movers I had hired were unresponsive with questions and proving to be very unprofessional. I was suggested to try Big League Movers so I gave them a call. They were able to get me on the schedule for the... read moreSonya Sandoval3 months ago
I did my part by being prepared and ready to move. They did their part by being prompt, careful, and methodical. Movers were friendly and asked all the right questions. And got everything moved, with zero casualties, right about at my estimated time. 10/10 Would use again.Kevin Mahaney3 months ago
The very professional and courteous company. They always answer their phones, follow up calls are prompt. Sales are customer service awesome. The movers care about your property. I had five men, all five wanted to make sure I was pleased. They were happy to be at work... read moreCarroll Hoselton3 months ago
I have used them twice and they are the best. Not really sure how they shake out as far as cost compared to competitors but the quality of service is amazingly. They go the extra mile to ensure quality, easy to work with. Good people.Robert H.4 months ago
Amazing service all around! From booking and scheduling to a fantastic crew on move day. They took care of my stuff and my walls all while still being efficient and friendly. I highly recommend this company and will definitely use them again in the future. They... read moreA R4 months ago
Amazing service all around! From booking and scheduling to a fantastic crew on move day. They took care of my stuff and my walls all while still being efficient and friendly. I highly recommend this company and will definitely use them again in the future. They... read moreA R.4 months ago
No hidden fees. You are not passed off to several staff, you deal with 1 person. Efficient workers that are careful. No items lost; nothing broken. After having moved across the country twice and having made several local moves in various cities this was by far my best... read moreValerie A.4 months ago
We had a great experience with Big League Movers and highly recommend this company! Everyone from start to finish was professional, polite and courteous. The entire team went above and beyond for our move. They called before they arrived to let us know they were enroute. Once they arrived the... read moreChristina Robinson5 months ago
Great office staff was very helpful with scheduling and planning. Moving crew was friendly helpful and worked very hard. They treated my stuff with care and respect and provided great timely service. This was my second move with Big League in the last three years and both were very positive experiences.Scott Reeves5 months ago
On-time, professional, competitive prices, and very flexible. Thanks for the assist to Mimeo.com. I recommend this company to friends, family, and colleagues.
MarkMark T.5 months ago
The movers arrived an hour late, but the team redeemed themselves. Things happen that are not always in the plan. George and his team were not only professional and courteous, but they also assisted in the arrangement and placement of furniture in the new house. My parents downsized due to... read moreSonia Leonard7 months ago
The gentlemen were polite and professional. They did their best in performing a 3 man job with only 2 men. I applaud their determination to get the job done.
They went above and beyond by foregoing a lunch break to get the job done timely.France Robinson7 months ago
Big League handled my out-of-state move seamlessly! During the initial quote stage, they did an in-person walk through, provide a quote within just a few hours, and promptly answered any questions I had. Leading up to the move, they continued to be responsive and accommodating. The day of packing, the... read moreAbigail Lillge8 months ago
Big League handled my out-of-state move seamlessly! During the initial quote stage, they did an in-person walk through, provide a quote within just a few hours, and promptly answered any questions I had. Leading up to the move, they continued to be responsive and accommodating. The day of packing, the... read moreAbby L.8 months ago
Big League Movers did an amazing job with our move. They were efficient, professional, and responsive to all of our needs. The office also calls in to check on the move and if anything else is needed. Would definitely recommend them!Anup Narsi8 months ago
Excellent company. The guys were professional and respectful. They performed an excellent job. I have already told others about this company.Cheryl White8 months ago
The crew of Malone, Edward and Young did a wonderful job moving me from Cooper Young to Downtown. Very prompt, great communication and fun to interact with. Appreciate you guysJordan Abidor9 months ago
My 3 Man Crew of Torion, Damien, Z Bow and Jesse were Friendly, Professional, and Efficient.
We were able to completely move out and in across town within the 3 hour Minimum Estimate.
These guys went the extra Mile to remove the stress and strain of moving and ddI the... read moreDaniel S.9 months ago
What an amazing job! Michael, Kyle and Denzel were amazing!!! they were friendly and courteous! They made this move as painless as possible. Items were placed exactly where I needed them to be, so now there is minimal work for me to unpack. Thank you so... read morePamela H.9 months ago
I have used moving companies many times during my life time and I honestly have never seen a moving company that went over and beyond to make sure the furniture was protected from any damage during the moving process like Big League Movers. I was totally impressed by the two... read moreMichael T.9 months ago
This our third time using Big League Movers for a local move. The prep staff is amazing! I've been lucky enough to work with Brandon each time and Dominque was very responsive. The day of our move went very well, despite some light rain. Our moving team consisted of Tommie,... read moreDawn Gaines9 months ago