Moving can be a stressful time in a person’s life. So many things must be considered to ensure a smooth transition, and you want to feel confident the place you’re about to call home is a good fit for you and your family. If you’re considering making a move and you have Memphis on your radar, you may be asking yourself, “Why should I move to Memphis?” Here are four reasons why Memphis, Tennessee, should jump to the top of your short list.
1. Memphis Culture
If you’re the kind of person who likes to immerse yourself in the culture of the city you call home, a move to Memphis will offer plenty of experiences. If that isn’t something you consider important, you’ll still get the benefit of a variety of activities to introduce you to your community.
- Good music: Memphis is well-known for its strong music scene. The birthplace of Sun Records, the area launched careers for such artists as Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis and Elvis Presley. The city is most often associated with its historical roots in blues and rock and roll; however, more contemporary artists like Justin Timberlake and Isaac Hayes can also thank Memphis for giving them their start.
- Good food: The city’s next claim-to-fame lies with the many culinary options available to residents. It’s true that Memphis has a reputation for good barbecue, but you might be surprised to learn the city has also been given a nod for its bakeries and pizzerias. A variety of establishments can be found around every corner, and many serve local favorites known only to those who live in the area. Whatever your tastes, you’re sure to find a restaurant worthy of your patronage.
- A lively downtown scene: If you’re interested in exploring the city’s night life, Downtown Memphis will have what you’re looking for. The area is home to dance clubs, live music venues, dive bars and casinos, offering a little something for everyone.
2. Family Life
If you have a family to think about, rest assured that Memphis has you covered. From a top-rated education at one of the local schools to a variety of entertainment options to meet every budget and interest, the city offers everything you need to ensure the success and happiness of your family.
- Memphis schools: Many schools in Memphis are given top ratings by scoring sites such as Greatschools.org. Schools vary based on area, but the best neighborhoods in Memphis for your kids to attend school are focused near the center of the city.
- Memphis parks: If you’re looking for low-cost entertainment options for the whole family, you can take advantage of over 3,200 acres of parkland maintained by the city. You’ll find amenities such as picnic tables, pavilions, sports complexes and playground equipment, along with specialized facilities unique to their respective parks.
- Paid activities: If you’re looking for something a little different, treat the family to a day playing at the Children’s Museum of Memphis, check out the animals at the Memphis Zoo, or enjoy a riverboat cruise down the Mississippi. The city is home to a variety of attractions that match every interest.
3. Cost of Living
Another reason to make the move is the effect the city will have on your wallet. The Memphis cost of living is significantly lower than the national average and allows residents to enjoy big-city living without the hefty price tag. In addition, Tennessee is one of the many states in the U.S. that doesn’t collect state income tax, leaving you with more in your paycheck each week. If retirement is a consideration, the state also exempts retirement accounts from taxation, and property taxes in the area are low as well.
4. Business Is Booming
Whether you work the daily 9-to-5 for someone else or you prefer to work for yourself, a move to Memphis will increase your satisfaction and chance for success. Memphis has been ranked in the top five in the Forbes List of Happiest Places to Work Right Now for several years, using criteria such as satisfaction with the company, coworkers, the type of work done and the rewards received as an employee.
If you’re an entrepreneur thinking about getting into business for yourself, Shelby County claims the title of most active county for economic development in Tennessee for the last five years. The city boasts pro-business regulations and low business costs, and it attracts a strong talent pool. Not only is it a great place to start or move a business, it has all the qualities necessary to encourage success.
Should I Move to Memphis?
Memphis is a thriving city with a rich culture and offers a variety of dining, entertainment and music options. Whatever your preference, you can find what you’re looking for within city limits.
The area is also home to a selection of schools that provide a quality education, over 100 city-maintained parks with amenities for your comfort and convenience, and several family-friendly activities to keep boredom at bay. The Memphis cost of living is low when compared to other cities of similar size, and the local government supports new business moving into the area with a strong motivation to continue attracting a solid pool of talent for those businesses to lean on.
Considering all this, maybe the question you should be asking yourself isn’t, “Should I move to Memphis?” but rather “How fast can I get there?”